Water is the basis of life. Our bodies consist of mostly water, we need water to survive, the animals and plants around us need water to survive, which is why water is such a strong and commonly recurring symbol in our dreams.
Water is used to bless, renew, and purify. However, water can also be used to torture and kill. Water can be peaceful and life-giving, or it can be powerful, over-whelming, and dangerous.
- Lying in a calm pool of water can be restful to our body and soul.
- Riding on a wave of water can be exhilarating and exciting.
- Falling into a deep ocean of water can be dark, directionless, and full of unknown terrors.
When we cannot properly express our emotions during the day, they may take form in our dreams at night. Therefore, finding the meaning of our dreams, will help us understand ourselves better, as well as improve our emotional and physical well-being.
To find the deeper meaning of our dream about water, we need to look at the details of our dream, within the context of what is currently happening in our life.
Our Dream of Water – What, Where, How
Dreams about water can have many different interpretations depending on –
- How we interact with the water.
- How we feel during and after the dream.
- What type of water appears in our dream. A clear ocean, a fast moving river, a swampland, a swimming pool, or a lake, will all have different associated meanings.
- What objects and people are in the water dream.
1. How we interact with the water
There are many ways with which we can interact with water. Different actions, have different purposes and effect, and therefore a different meaning.
Positive interactions –
- Swimming in water indicates that we have a new goal or destination that we are moving toward. We could be finding a new direction in life, starting school, moving, or changing jobs. Swimming with the current, shows that our journey is going well, and we are happy and confident with our circumstances. Swimming against the current, signals that we are having difficulties and have to work hard to move forward. Being carried away by the current, suggests that the journey is too challenging, and we are no longer sure that we can reach our goals. In this case, we may want to re-evaluate our future and current actions.
- Diving into water can signify a need to delve into our own emotions, needs, actions, and inner psyche. Alternatively, we may be trying to understand the goals and intentions of someone close to us, or how to solve a current work issue.
- Crossing a body of water captures a yearning for freedom, independence, and change. We are moving from what was known and safe, to what is new and not constrained by old rules and old doubts.
- Playing or frolicking in water signals the awakening of a new love or a new passion. We could be looking forward to a new relationship, a new work project, or learning a new skill.
- Walking on water suggests that we are in control and are confident that we can face whatever challenges are currently in our life.
- Listening to water shows a need for reflection, and to be at peace with our emotions.
- Pouring water on someone else may mean that we are helping a friend recover, helping her embark on a new journey, or offering her new opportunities and blessings.
- Drinking water from a water fountain, cooler, spring, or other nourishing source, suggests that we are seeking to be refreshed and renewed. On the other hand, drinking dirty water implies a fear of getting sick, continuing sickness, or some other contamination of the body and mind.
Negative interactions –
- Drowning, rising water, or being swallowed up by a stormy sea indicates anxiety, dread, or a feeling of being overwhelmed by external forces. We could be experiencing a lot of stress from work, from our friends and relatives, or from our current environment and circumstance. We may have lost our job, lost someone we love, and may feel that we no longer have control of our emotions or our life.
- Breathing under water suggests a wish to return to the womb, in particular, a need for safety, security, and freedom from responsibilities. We may be facing difficult issues in life and be overburdened by commitments, therefore we are looking to return to a simpler and safer place.
- Bailing out water is a signal of future troubles or difficulties, which we have currently forestalled with hard work and effort. However, there is uncertainty as to whether we can hold-off the coming tide.
- Looking or thirsting for water may mean that recent setbacks or current life experiences (e.g. work, health, relationships), have left us feeling empty and depleted. Therefore, we are looking to be refueled or reborn. We need to take time to nurture ourselves.
- Falling into water captures a feeling of momentary helplessness, of not being in control, regrets on mistakes made, and possible unpleasant consequences.
- Splashed by water symbolizes a wake up call. We need to focus, get our thoughts straight, and stop living in self-denial or self-delusion. Otherwise, we may end up in a dead-end job, a bad relationship, or a life full of regrets.
- Throwing water at others suggests the onset of an emotional outburst, or the need to show more emotion. Getting water thrown at us, indicates that we may be the target of someone else’s anger or strong emotion.
2. How do we feel during and after the water dream
- Feeling bold and laughing at the stormy sea indicates that we are ready to meet adversity, we are ready to transition into something new, we are confident we can sail through the difficult circumstances, and come out victorious on the other side.
- Feeling anxious and fearful of the water is a signal that we are afraid of the unknown. We may be unsure of the direction to take on a vast trackless body of water, or we may feel that we have no control of where our life is taking us.
- Feeling calm and peaceful about the water captures our feelings of safety, security, and contentment while in our mother’s womb. We feel safe in our current situation, our work life is progressing smoothly, and the people and environment surrounding us gives us peace.
3. What type of water appears in our dream
The type of water in our dream is also significant. In particular –
a) Size and depth of the water
- Large or deep bodies of water (ocean, lake, or well) indicate the unknown, hidden secrets, uncertainty, and greater danger.
- Small and shallow bodies of water (a pond, swimming pool or puddle) are safe, familiar, and known. Even if they are associated with negative emotions and actions, they are more of a nuisance or minor setback, rather than a life changing phenomenon.
- A path of water (stream, creek, or river) signals movement to a particular destination, or having to choose which direction to take.
b) Condition of the water
- Clear water indicates confidence, clarity in thinking, or that we are in tune with our spirituality.
- Still or calm water shows that we are at peace, or that we are seeking peace and relaxation.
- Murky or stagnant water, for example in a swamp or bog, is a sign of apathy and depression. We may feel lost, that our life is going nowhere, that we will never find love, or that our achievements are meaningless. We may be struggling with negative emotions, and find it difficult to take positive action, or indeed any action at all. Fog, is perhaps a weaker symbol, which indicates that we are having trouble reaching clarity, or taking action.
- Ice represents repressed emotions, or some disturbing past experience that still haunts us. Melting ice signals that we are ready to face our past or childhood trauma, and start unraveling our repressed emotions.
- Falling water, for example standing in the rain, under a shower, or in a waterfall denotes a cleansing or need for self-renewal. We may need to heal emotional scars or let go of pent-up emotions, that is causing us sadness and pain.
- Fast moving water, for example in a river, may signify that our life or emotional landscape is changing too quickly. Similarly, boiling water indicates emotional turmoil and great stress.
- Tsunamis, tidal waves, storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other acts of God captures a strong sense of being overwhelmed by events that are beyond our control. They may also suggest a hidden guilt or sin, that is greatly weighing on our psyche. We may feel that we need to be, or are going to be punished.
4. What is in the water
Finally, the objects or people related to our water dream can also be significant.
- Boats, jet skis, water skis, water floats, and other objects that give us the ability to stay on top of the water, suggests self-confidence. In general, objects that provide us with more control and more speed, signify greater belief in ourselves and our actions. For example, speed boats and jet skis > sail boats > row boats > paddle boats > water floats.
- Hose, faucets, or other objects that allow us to control the direction and flow of water, also suggests that we are in control, and have the emotional fortitude to take charge of our life and actions.
- Other people swimming in the water with us, helping us get to the surface, or helping us get to shore, indicates that we have support from friends and family in our current troubles. On the other hand, being held back or pushed down into the water, suggests that we have enemies or competitors, who are trying to sabotage or impede our progress.
- Fish and other sea creatures can have a variety of meanings. Mermaids and fantastical sea animals, show a need for change or an urge to escape into a different life. Being attacked by sharks, alligators, or sea monsters, implies that we are feeling harried in many aspects of our life, or that we are worried about embarking on something new and unknown. Observing fish and other sea life from a distance, represents a feeling or indifference, and an unwillingness to explore or to engage in the happenings of our life.
- Barriers in the water or hitting some impediment, signals some complication that is preventing us from reaching our goal. We may be unwilling to take some risk, unable to commit to some action, or make a required sacrifice.
- Familiar objects under water implies that we have repressed or hidden feelings related to those objects. We may feel reluctant to examine or confront those memories.
- Water lily is a symbol of grief and separation. It indicates feelings of sorrow and bereavement.
What Is the Meaning of My Water Dream
Dreams are made of symbols. The interpretation of dreams involve identifying which symbols are important in our dream, and then translating what they each mean to us.
Some symbols have broader cultural significance, while others may have narrower meanings, or may pertain to specific experiences that are special or unique to us. Therefore, dream interpretation is partly a study of symbology, and partly a study of self.
In this article, we examine many of the broader meanings of water, in its various forms and contexts. However, always be aware that our personal experiences and histories also play a very big role.
To fully understand the meaning of our water dreams, we must not only understand the cultural significance of water, but also be brave enough to look into ourselves, and read what it signifies to our soul.
I dreamed I was on a big boat on clear water. My estranged husband who has left me after 40 years was on the boat. I couldn’t figure out if he pushed me off or I fell off the boat. I got into a position of a dive putting my arms straight out with my hands & fingers straight & over lapping. I went thru the water for quite awhile. Seemed about 20 or 30 feet & my fingertips skimmed over fine sand & I very smoothly went back up to the surface. I was unafraid. The feel of the water was intensely real.
Good sign. You will survive without him. I got divorced from my husband after 40 years, too, and it’s been magnificent been without him. Don’t loose hope you’ll make it out by yourself, just like i have. Good luck.
I sawed I’m traveling in train which was surrounded by water
Crystal Neufeldt says
Hi there, i dreamed that i fell off a sinking boat into a dark ocean, it was night, i was swimming up towards the surface of the ocean, someone else was helping me swim but there was furniture an dressers all around me, i also remember praying to God an than i woke up? What is the meaning of this?
My dreams take part of the ocean I dreamed of an orange light directly from the sun hitting the ocean than I dreamed of a white statue bird under the sea, I am a bachelor of Arts graduate I currently got employed for January however I have also applied for a permanent position I belive they will be short listing soon. Everytime I have these dreams I become calm.
I dreamed last night I was driving on the interstate and about 4 miles I came up to a metal sheet wall and stopped. I noticed other drivers drove past (through) it and I did the same and past it was a huge endless lake and I fell into it and almost drowned.
Don’t follow the crowd. The path to life is narrow, the path to death is a highway.
from a nap, i dreamt that i was on a speeding boat, my slippers fell, then the boat i am on sinked into a vast blue ocean, as i drown (i did not feel any fear) i saw a long brown/glittery/gold hair along with the waves, it felt like the hair cradled me and felt that the hair and the waves is pushing me to the shore, then by the arch of the wave i saw a mermaid, her face is half skeleton and half with skin, at last i reached the shore, i thanked the mermaid, but appears she did not hear me, she crawled on to the rocky shore, i just watched her crawl until she reached a cottage beside a tree, and the memaid transformed into a monkey.
I dreamed that my friend and I were moving through a jungle (bush), we got to a river in which we later crossed to the other side. After crossing this river, one of my friends that was at the front got struck in a standalone water (well; small but very deep) and after few seconds, a boy of like 5 years old (believed to have been trapped inside this well before) was thrown up to the side of this well (still alive). We struggled all while to remove this my friend with all possible means but we couldn’t and all of us were just crying because we did not even see his traces in the water at all.
Please, what is the meaning of this dream?
Night before last I dreampt I arrived at Lakeside Church (where I have never been) and found a restroom in the rear that turned out to be in Joel Osteen’s private offices. I looked down and clear water was standing about an inch under my feet. I was very curious why he had water on the floor. I was leaving out and ran into him. When I smiled to speak, he became angry that I had wandered to his personal quarters. I remained calm, but still curious.
Last night, I dreamed I was standing in a beautiful meadowed area beside a clear sparkling stream. I felt calm and peaceful. I awoke feeling as the two dreams were connected.
Re-read the verse in the bible where Jesus washes the disciples feet.
what does it mean to use my palm hand to fetch water from the stream and drink it
You have been chosen for a special assignment by God
I highly-doubt anyone will respond- I am so confused by a dream I had: I was at a crosswalk but the crosswalk was clear ocean water. A huge black sunfish with fangs swam up to me before I crossed but I picked it out of the water and laughed. The water was clear and sparkling. There were boats instead of cars and everyone waiting at the crosswalk happily jumped in the water waiting for the lights to change as if no big deal.
I live nowhere near an ocean.
I’m so weirded out by this dream bc it has been on my mind all day.
It has something to do with heaven, the Holy Spirit, the black sun fish could be you laughing at evil trying to hurt you because you are saved by grace.
What does it mean to dream about a girl being saved by me while drowning and when the girl opens her eyes one eye is blue and one white
What does it me when you have a consistent dream that your on a bridge and it’s cold and the water is really dark and murky and you dive in but you don’t know what happen next ( if you float , swim, drown ) because you wake up ? Your scared to just in the water …
Hi just have a look at your direction in life. Does it feel good in your heart?
are you holding off on change?
be nice to yourself and try and smile a bit more :-)))
April joy says
I had a dream swimming and going deeply in the ocean with my boyfriend. It was calm water. Please explain
Did you ever find out what this means?
please answer…. what does it mean if my friend(but this friend, i don’t like her much because of her attitude) throw a water on my face using his hand, it’s a water from a shower in a bathroom., it’s just like she don’t have bad intention when she throw it in my face , it’s just like a game to her means to play , a joke…. but i get really mad even until i wake up… please explain to me what does this mean…. thank you!
This morning I had a strage dream.
I saw a group of black birds flying over the blue sea…two of these birds were holding a small black bird, and this small bird suddenly was thorned into pieces…
Then, a shiny blue fich came out of that thorned black bird, jumped from the sky and fell into the blue sea…
The weather was nice, sunny, the colors were clear blue….and shinny…
I do not know wat this dream could be telling me…
Can someone try to tell me ones opinion about this dream meaning
Just to correct quote of mine: I meant “…a shiny blue fish came out ….”, not “fich”.
shanny coles says
What does it mean to be in a pod of murky green frog ridden water (ps I have a phobia for frogs) swimming through it with much difficulty but make it to the other side only to be splashed with water from a hose by an unknown stranger? Oh almst 4gt the smurfs were also there please help!
I had a strange dream that I woke up right away a small child was in the small pool and he slipped and I saw his body in the water ,submerged,I ran in and saved him I had him on my shoulder to calm him down and he had a big numb on his head very little blood was coming out,I put a pad with ice on his head.
What does it mean to dream of seeing a close female relative of youras near a swimming pool and later swimming with her in the same pool?
Mwesige samuel says
What does it mean to dream about being at risk to fall from a high altitude into a deadly river containing acids ? thanks
what does it mean if you dream about clear water a small lake and i see my small sun and his mom in the water and she was in a good mood,where can my daugter also been.
What dose it mean to dream clear sea ocean water above you as in the ocean is clear but in the sky and it has whales an dolphins in it ….☺️ It to be was a very strange dream indeed
what does it mean to dream of myself into dark water in a pool and after it was divided in two. one with clear water and after the second with dark water .
Tammy Magana says
what does it mean to dream of my child playiing in the merky ocean and then dtowind but I was able to save him.