Water is the basis of life. Our bodies consist of mostly water, we need water to survive, the animals and plants around us need water to survive, which is why water is such a strong and commonly recurring symbol in our dreams.
Water is used to bless, renew, and purify. However, water can also be used to torture and kill. Water can be peaceful and life-giving, or it can be powerful, over-whelming, and dangerous.
- Lying in a calm pool of water can be restful to our body and soul.
- Riding on a wave of water can be exhilarating and exciting.
- Falling into a deep ocean of water can be dark, directionless, and full of unknown terrors.
When we cannot properly express our emotions during the day, they may take form in our dreams at night. Therefore, finding the meaning of our dreams, will help us understand ourselves better, as well as improve our emotional and physical well-being.
To find the deeper meaning of our dream about water, we need to look at the details of our dream, within the context of what is currently happening in our life.
Our Dream of Water – What, Where, How
Dreams about water can have many different interpretations depending on –
- How we interact with the water.
- How we feel during and after the dream.
- What type of water appears in our dream. A clear ocean, a fast moving river, a swampland, a swimming pool, or a lake, will all have different associated meanings.
- What objects and people are in the water dream.
1. How we interact with the water
There are many ways with which we can interact with water. Different actions, have different purposes and effect, and therefore a different meaning.
Positive interactions –
- Swimming in water indicates that we have a new goal or destination that we are moving toward. We could be finding a new direction in life, starting school, moving, or changing jobs. Swimming with the current, shows that our journey is going well, and we are happy and confident with our circumstances. Swimming against the current, signals that we are having difficulties and have to work hard to move forward. Being carried away by the current, suggests that the journey is too challenging, and we are no longer sure that we can reach our goals. In this case, we may want to re-evaluate our future and current actions.
- Diving into water can signify a need to delve into our own emotions, needs, actions, and inner psyche. Alternatively, we may be trying to understand the goals and intentions of someone close to us, or how to solve a current work issue.
- Crossing a body of water captures a yearning for freedom, independence, and change. We are moving from what was known and safe, to what is new and not constrained by old rules and old doubts.
- Playing or frolicking in water signals the awakening of a new love or a new passion. We could be looking forward to a new relationship, a new work project, or learning a new skill.
- Walking on water suggests that we are in control and are confident that we can face whatever challenges are currently in our life.
- Listening to water shows a need for reflection, and to be at peace with our emotions.
- Pouring water on someone else may mean that we are helping a friend recover, helping her embark on a new journey, or offering her new opportunities and blessings.
- Drinking water from a water fountain, cooler, spring, or other nourishing source, suggests that we are seeking to be refreshed and renewed. On the other hand, drinking dirty water implies a fear of getting sick, continuing sickness, or some other contamination of the body and mind.
Negative interactions –
- Drowning, rising water, or being swallowed up by a stormy sea indicates anxiety, dread, or a feeling of being overwhelmed by external forces. We could be experiencing a lot of stress from work, from our friends and relatives, or from our current environment and circumstance. We may have lost our job, lost someone we love, and may feel that we no longer have control of our emotions or our life.
- Breathing under water suggests a wish to return to the womb, in particular, a need for safety, security, and freedom from responsibilities. We may be facing difficult issues in life and be overburdened by commitments, therefore we are looking to return to a simpler and safer place.
- Bailing out water is a signal of future troubles or difficulties, which we have currently forestalled with hard work and effort. However, there is uncertainty as to whether we can hold-off the coming tide.
- Looking or thirsting for water may mean that recent setbacks or current life experiences (e.g. work, health, relationships), have left us feeling empty and depleted. Therefore, we are looking to be refueled or reborn. We need to take time to nurture ourselves.
- Falling into water captures a feeling of momentary helplessness, of not being in control, regrets on mistakes made, and possible unpleasant consequences.
- Splashed by water symbolizes a wake up call. We need to focus, get our thoughts straight, and stop living in self-denial or self-delusion. Otherwise, we may end up in a dead-end job, a bad relationship, or a life full of regrets.
- Throwing water at others suggests the onset of an emotional outburst, or the need to show more emotion. Getting water thrown at us, indicates that we may be the target of someone else’s anger or strong emotion.
2. How do we feel during and after the water dream
- Feeling bold and laughing at the stormy sea indicates that we are ready to meet adversity, we are ready to transition into something new, we are confident we can sail through the difficult circumstances, and come out victorious on the other side.
- Feeling anxious and fearful of the water is a signal that we are afraid of the unknown. We may be unsure of the direction to take on a vast trackless body of water, or we may feel that we have no control of where our life is taking us.
- Feeling calm and peaceful about the water captures our feelings of safety, security, and contentment while in our mother’s womb. We feel safe in our current situation, our work life is progressing smoothly, and the people and environment surrounding us gives us peace.
3. What type of water appears in our dream
The type of water in our dream is also significant. In particular –
a) Size and depth of the water
- Large or deep bodies of water (ocean, lake, or well) indicate the unknown, hidden secrets, uncertainty, and greater danger.
- Small and shallow bodies of water (a pond, swimming pool or puddle) are safe, familiar, and known. Even if they are associated with negative emotions and actions, they are more of a nuisance or minor setback, rather than a life changing phenomenon.
- A path of water (stream, creek, or river) signals movement to a particular destination, or having to choose which direction to take.
b) Condition of the water
- Clear water indicates confidence, clarity in thinking, or that we are in tune with our spirituality.
- Still or calm water shows that we are at peace, or that we are seeking peace and relaxation.
- Murky or stagnant water, for example in a swamp or bog, is a sign of apathy and depression. We may feel lost, that our life is going nowhere, that we will never find love, or that our achievements are meaningless. We may be struggling with negative emotions, and find it difficult to take positive action, or indeed any action at all. Fog, is perhaps a weaker symbol, which indicates that we are having trouble reaching clarity, or taking action.
- Ice represents repressed emotions, or some disturbing past experience that still haunts us. Melting ice signals that we are ready to face our past or childhood trauma, and start unraveling our repressed emotions.
- Falling water, for example standing in the rain, under a shower, or in a waterfall denotes a cleansing or need for self-renewal. We may need to heal emotional scars or let go of pent-up emotions, that is causing us sadness and pain.
- Fast moving water, for example in a river, may signify that our life or emotional landscape is changing too quickly. Similarly, boiling water indicates emotional turmoil and great stress.
- Tsunamis, tidal waves, storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other acts of God captures a strong sense of being overwhelmed by events that are beyond our control. They may also suggest a hidden guilt or sin, that is greatly weighing on our psyche. We may feel that we need to be, or are going to be punished.
4. What is in the water
Finally, the objects or people related to our water dream can also be significant.
- Boats, jet skis, water skis, water floats, and other objects that give us the ability to stay on top of the water, suggests self-confidence. In general, objects that provide us with more control and more speed, signify greater belief in ourselves and our actions. For example, speed boats and jet skis > sail boats > row boats > paddle boats > water floats.
- Hose, faucets, or other objects that allow us to control the direction and flow of water, also suggests that we are in control, and have the emotional fortitude to take charge of our life and actions.
- Other people swimming in the water with us, helping us get to the surface, or helping us get to shore, indicates that we have support from friends and family in our current troubles. On the other hand, being held back or pushed down into the water, suggests that we have enemies or competitors, who are trying to sabotage or impede our progress.
- Fish and other sea creatures can have a variety of meanings. Mermaids and fantastical sea animals, show a need for change or an urge to escape into a different life. Being attacked by sharks, alligators, or sea monsters, implies that we are feeling harried in many aspects of our life, or that we are worried about embarking on something new and unknown. Observing fish and other sea life from a distance, represents a feeling or indifference, and an unwillingness to explore or to engage in the happenings of our life.
- Barriers in the water or hitting some impediment, signals some complication that is preventing us from reaching our goal. We may be unwilling to take some risk, unable to commit to some action, or make a required sacrifice.
- Familiar objects under water implies that we have repressed or hidden feelings related to those objects. We may feel reluctant to examine or confront those memories.
- Water lily is a symbol of grief and separation. It indicates feelings of sorrow and bereavement.
What Is the Meaning of My Water Dream
Dreams are made of symbols. The interpretation of dreams involve identifying which symbols are important in our dream, and then translating what they each mean to us.
Some symbols have broader cultural significance, while others may have narrower meanings, or may pertain to specific experiences that are special or unique to us. Therefore, dream interpretation is partly a study of symbology, and partly a study of self.
In this article, we examine many of the broader meanings of water, in its various forms and contexts. However, always be aware that our personal experiences and histories also play a very big role.
To fully understand the meaning of our water dreams, we must not only understand the cultural significance of water, but also be brave enough to look into ourselves, and read what it signifies to our soul.
Will Simeon says
I had a dream where there was war on the other side and seems like others found their way on horses and they were burning some at the back so I and one other person found a lake that was clean, we slide into the lake and it looked large immediately we got in.. then I used breaststroke to move after I paddled and looked like the water helped me and I got to the shore..
What does it mean when your in a speed boat in the middle of the ocean with other ships submarine just all kinds of boats the waves r rough your afraid your going to fall in but u made it to shore and up in a stranger house a little boy comes out the room and then his mother comes out talking to me normal takes me home
I had a dream that I was swimming at the beach with my boyfriend basically standing on the sand then on a rock letting the water hit our feet. The water started rizing. The waves were flying up unnaturally almost like they were trying to hit us on purpose. We dove out of the way in time. The water appeared dark, thick and goopy almost like it turned into something else entirely. We ran up the beach up to the board walk but to my horrer the wave reached up high almost like a tsunami was happening. It actually pulled him in at some point but he managed to get out.
I had a dream I was being choked by a big black boney roteing hand piching my neck paralyzing me pulling me into calm deep black water but there were people all around taking vidoes and luaghing at me being pulled down and the moonlighting showed me being dragged depper and depper before I disappeared in the darkness. what dosethis mean?
In the middle of the afternoon my girlfriend and I are laying in bed watching TV and after a few short moments she fell asleep. About, 5 mins later she let out a scream unlike I had ever heard. I had trouble waking her up from the nightmare and when she came too she wrapped her arms around me and began crying hysterically for nearly half an hour. Finally, after the tears had stopped I asked ” babe what happened in your dream?”. The tears began flowing yet again and she said ” baby they found you dead in the pond across from the apartments you live in.”. The sobbing became more and the crying continued. This is the first time she has ever had a bad dream about me. This is in fact the worst dream she has ever had. My girlfriend is known for her intuition and psychic abilities. I’m a little freaked out.
Rebecca Lesure says
I had a dream that I was on a city bus and it was going over a bridge. There was a terrible storm coming, but it hit suddenly. There were buildings collapsing and huge waves that destroyed the bridge. The bus fell into the water where it started to sink. I was scared and then realized I needed to stay calm and rationalized my escape. I did escape, but had a moment of guilt that I saved only myself.
Ridhi Jain says
I saw a dream where i was rowminh around a resport knd of place 3 sided covered with sea. It was a normal cloudy day. Seen a few known people in the dream.
Then i wore some new shinning silver shoes.it was all normal & suddenly tides in the sea started to rise. Slowly it became so high that it started effecting my people around me. I was running from those tides, hiding myself behind some solid walls or big stones. Those tides were like real real big but it wasnt damaging anything.
I was hidden behind some wall a big woodden log came frm somewhere stopped then turned towards me nd crossed me without even hurting me.
Suddenly i met an old friend of mine from nowhere & she did some calculations nd told me that all this is happening because of me& the shoes i was wearing were attracting sea. I removed those immediately nd everything went back normal.
I am really feeling uncomfortable after that dream. Really need to know the meaning. Thanks in advance if you could help.
I had a dream of getting scared of water hole.I was hugging my mom and crying telling her tht I am scared,then later on we decided to go to some other place to swim I was forcibly taken there but when I went there,I saw Lots of whirlpools,so I got scared and ran away then later on I fell into an ocean and a shark ate me off!!
What does this dream of mine interpret?..
Lungelwa Ginindza says
I dreamt a dam where I was not in hut taking pictures of it from a distance and all of a sudden a wave came through the rocks in the dam people were swimming and they managed to escape. The wave was over then a boy was retrieved from the dam. As I was far couldn’t see if he was dead or alive…..
What is the meaning of the dream?
I had a dream where the river near my house was growing so big and fas that it covered the whole city. I and my brother managed to escape from their and went to the hills but the river was still growing bigger and coming after us. From the top of hill, we could see whole city drowned under water as the water was clean and clear. But they don’t look in trouble. The size of river near my house was converted into size of ocean. I don’t remember after that what happened.
I had a dream where me and the guy I’m in love with were in the middle of the ocean with nothing around us and it was nighttime and we were sitting on Howard’s and then these little lights appeared then left and he pulled my hair and I was laughing and then I woke up but I don’t understand what it’s supposed to mean
Hi.. i had a dream I was so thirsty and I was walking somewhere I don’t know where then I had two glasses I went to look for drinking water .. there was a big dipression(a huge hole and had a big depth) inside it is another small hole with very clean and still water on the side was a big flower vase the soil in it was so muddy … I could reach the flower vase nor the place near the water I thought of jumping I could break my legs or my neck. There were polls on the outside of the hole and it could reach the flower vase I could probably use it to get in there but I feared it might fail and I get hurt
I had a dream about sitting by the river side then suddenly falling into the river upside down. i tried to come out to the bank holding the stones in the river but could not. It felt like someone inside the water is grabbing one of my legs i could not move forward. I felt like i was starting to drown so i shouted for my mom who was there far away but she could not hear me. i tried swimming again and again and called out for mom. How do you interprete my dream?
Diana Cooper says
What does it mean to see a creek flow backwards, clear water, a calm flow though,
Hi. Can i ask what my dream meant? I was half asleep that time and i saw a shadow. I was frightened by it and i think it knew. Then the ceiling started leaking water. My father got in the room and told me to get up because he’s going tp fix it but i didnt budge. I feel calm about it tho. I felt that God was with me and why would I be afriad. Then the ceiling bursted with strong current of water so i cover my left ear to avoid letting it in. My father was screaming at me the whole time. Its like i didnt hear him because my mind was focused about the feeling of God’s presence. Then I just got up slowly like nothing happened then my father started fixing it as i told my mother and sister about it how i felt even tho the ceiling was destroyed by water. Pleas tell me. I reakly need to know
in this dream i found myself and some unknown people in sink truck/ pickup many of them were shouting but never want to make then i left them and jump into the water and started swimming. but in that swimming the sea sometime rotates me and when it calm i continues till i get to the shore.
Hello,I had a dream where I was about to take a shower and one of my friends was there and I slipped and fell in the water and she just looked and did nothing,the water was perfect blue and like a water fall that rested on my thighs. The water was so peaceful and nice,what does this dream mean
I had a dream where I was with my family and friends and a few fictional characters at a lake and I’d got sucked under water with no way of escape. Apparently being down there for a few days. Once out of the water I ran back home down my road. To find everyone in tears happy to see me. (The environment matches everything about where I lived EXCEPT where the lake was. The lake was closer to my place then usual.)
I had a dream where I was at a party at the crappy side of the ocean and I was swallowed by sea foam due to an oncoming wave
Covenant victor says
I got a dream I went for water with friends so when I was in the middle of the water to fetch water with the jerrican of the lady I was with her then the water rose up but it didn’t sallow me I flee over water up to outside while I was carrying a lader when I came out one of my friends wanted me to put the ladder and go back again to the water but I got out of the dream
Please help me to interprete the dream