Water is the basis of life. Our bodies consist of mostly water, we need water to survive, the animals and plants around us need water to survive, which is why water is such a strong and commonly recurring symbol in our dreams.
Water is used to bless, renew, and purify. However, water can also be used to torture and kill. Water can be peaceful and life-giving, or it can be powerful, over-whelming, and dangerous.
- Lying in a calm pool of water can be restful to our body and soul.
- Riding on a wave of water can be exhilarating and exciting.
- Falling into a deep ocean of water can be dark, directionless, and full of unknown terrors.
When we cannot properly express our emotions during the day, they may take form in our dreams at night. Therefore, finding the meaning of our dreams, will help us understand ourselves better, as well as improve our emotional and physical well-being.
To find the deeper meaning of our dream about water, we need to look at the details of our dream, within the context of what is currently happening in our life.
Our Dream of Water – What, Where, How
Dreams about water can have many different interpretations depending on –
- How we interact with the water.
- How we feel during and after the dream.
- What type of water appears in our dream. A clear ocean, a fast moving river, a swampland, a swimming pool, or a lake, will all have different associated meanings.
- What objects and people are in the water dream.
1. How we interact with the water
There are many ways with which we can interact with water. Different actions, have different purposes and effect, and therefore a different meaning.
Positive interactions –
- Swimming in water indicates that we have a new goal or destination that we are moving toward. We could be finding a new direction in life, starting school, moving, or changing jobs. Swimming with the current, shows that our journey is going well, and we are happy and confident with our circumstances. Swimming against the current, signals that we are having difficulties and have to work hard to move forward. Being carried away by the current, suggests that the journey is too challenging, and we are no longer sure that we can reach our goals. In this case, we may want to re-evaluate our future and current actions.
- Diving into water can signify a need to delve into our own emotions, needs, actions, and inner psyche. Alternatively, we may be trying to understand the goals and intentions of someone close to us, or how to solve a current work issue.
- Crossing a body of water captures a yearning for freedom, independence, and change. We are moving from what was known and safe, to what is new and not constrained by old rules and old doubts.
- Playing or frolicking in water signals the awakening of a new love or a new passion. We could be looking forward to a new relationship, a new work project, or learning a new skill.
- Walking on water suggests that we are in control and are confident that we can face whatever challenges are currently in our life.
- Listening to water shows a need for reflection, and to be at peace with our emotions.
- Pouring water on someone else may mean that we are helping a friend recover, helping her embark on a new journey, or offering her new opportunities and blessings.
- Drinking water from a water fountain, cooler, spring, or other nourishing source, suggests that we are seeking to be refreshed and renewed. On the other hand, drinking dirty water implies a fear of getting sick, continuing sickness, or some other contamination of the body and mind.
Negative interactions –
- Drowning, rising water, or being swallowed up by a stormy sea indicates anxiety, dread, or a feeling of being overwhelmed by external forces. We could be experiencing a lot of stress from work, from our friends and relatives, or from our current environment and circumstance. We may have lost our job, lost someone we love, and may feel that we no longer have control of our emotions or our life.
- Breathing under water suggests a wish to return to the womb, in particular, a need for safety, security, and freedom from responsibilities. We may be facing difficult issues in life and be overburdened by commitments, therefore we are looking to return to a simpler and safer place.
- Bailing out water is a signal of future troubles or difficulties, which we have currently forestalled with hard work and effort. However, there is uncertainty as to whether we can hold-off the coming tide.
- Looking or thirsting for water may mean that recent setbacks or current life experiences (e.g. work, health, relationships), have left us feeling empty and depleted. Therefore, we are looking to be refueled or reborn. We need to take time to nurture ourselves.
- Falling into water captures a feeling of momentary helplessness, of not being in control, regrets on mistakes made, and possible unpleasant consequences.
- Splashed by water symbolizes a wake up call. We need to focus, get our thoughts straight, and stop living in self-denial or self-delusion. Otherwise, we may end up in a dead-end job, a bad relationship, or a life full of regrets.
- Throwing water at others suggests the onset of an emotional outburst, or the need to show more emotion. Getting water thrown at us, indicates that we may be the target of someone else’s anger or strong emotion.
2. How do we feel during and after the water dream
- Feeling bold and laughing at the stormy sea indicates that we are ready to meet adversity, we are ready to transition into something new, we are confident we can sail through the difficult circumstances, and come out victorious on the other side.
- Feeling anxious and fearful of the water is a signal that we are afraid of the unknown. We may be unsure of the direction to take on a vast trackless body of water, or we may feel that we have no control of where our life is taking us.
- Feeling calm and peaceful about the water captures our feelings of safety, security, and contentment while in our mother’s womb. We feel safe in our current situation, our work life is progressing smoothly, and the people and environment surrounding us gives us peace.
3. What type of water appears in our dream
The type of water in our dream is also significant. In particular –
a) Size and depth of the water
- Large or deep bodies of water (ocean, lake, or well) indicate the unknown, hidden secrets, uncertainty, and greater danger.
- Small and shallow bodies of water (a pond, swimming pool or puddle) are safe, familiar, and known. Even if they are associated with negative emotions and actions, they are more of a nuisance or minor setback, rather than a life changing phenomenon.
- A path of water (stream, creek, or river) signals movement to a particular destination, or having to choose which direction to take.
b) Condition of the water
- Clear water indicates confidence, clarity in thinking, or that we are in tune with our spirituality.
- Still or calm water shows that we are at peace, or that we are seeking peace and relaxation.
- Murky or stagnant water, for example in a swamp or bog, is a sign of apathy and depression. We may feel lost, that our life is going nowhere, that we will never find love, or that our achievements are meaningless. We may be struggling with negative emotions, and find it difficult to take positive action, or indeed any action at all. Fog, is perhaps a weaker symbol, which indicates that we are having trouble reaching clarity, or taking action.
- Ice represents repressed emotions, or some disturbing past experience that still haunts us. Melting ice signals that we are ready to face our past or childhood trauma, and start unraveling our repressed emotions.
- Falling water, for example standing in the rain, under a shower, or in a waterfall denotes a cleansing or need for self-renewal. We may need to heal emotional scars or let go of pent-up emotions, that is causing us sadness and pain.
- Fast moving water, for example in a river, may signify that our life or emotional landscape is changing too quickly. Similarly, boiling water indicates emotional turmoil and great stress.
- Tsunamis, tidal waves, storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other acts of God captures a strong sense of being overwhelmed by events that are beyond our control. They may also suggest a hidden guilt or sin, that is greatly weighing on our psyche. We may feel that we need to be, or are going to be punished.
4. What is in the water
Finally, the objects or people related to our water dream can also be significant.
- Boats, jet skis, water skis, water floats, and other objects that give us the ability to stay on top of the water, suggests self-confidence. In general, objects that provide us with more control and more speed, signify greater belief in ourselves and our actions. For example, speed boats and jet skis > sail boats > row boats > paddle boats > water floats.
- Hose, faucets, or other objects that allow us to control the direction and flow of water, also suggests that we are in control, and have the emotional fortitude to take charge of our life and actions.
- Other people swimming in the water with us, helping us get to the surface, or helping us get to shore, indicates that we have support from friends and family in our current troubles. On the other hand, being held back or pushed down into the water, suggests that we have enemies or competitors, who are trying to sabotage or impede our progress.
- Fish and other sea creatures can have a variety of meanings. Mermaids and fantastical sea animals, show a need for change or an urge to escape into a different life. Being attacked by sharks, alligators, or sea monsters, implies that we are feeling harried in many aspects of our life, or that we are worried about embarking on something new and unknown. Observing fish and other sea life from a distance, represents a feeling or indifference, and an unwillingness to explore or to engage in the happenings of our life.
- Barriers in the water or hitting some impediment, signals some complication that is preventing us from reaching our goal. We may be unwilling to take some risk, unable to commit to some action, or make a required sacrifice.
- Familiar objects under water implies that we have repressed or hidden feelings related to those objects. We may feel reluctant to examine or confront those memories.
- Water lily is a symbol of grief and separation. It indicates feelings of sorrow and bereavement.
What Is the Meaning of My Water Dream
Dreams are made of symbols. The interpretation of dreams involve identifying which symbols are important in our dream, and then translating what they each mean to us.
Some symbols have broader cultural significance, while others may have narrower meanings, or may pertain to specific experiences that are special or unique to us. Therefore, dream interpretation is partly a study of symbology, and partly a study of self.
In this article, we examine many of the broader meanings of water, in its various forms and contexts. However, always be aware that our personal experiences and histories also play a very big role.
To fully understand the meaning of our water dreams, we must not only understand the cultural significance of water, but also be brave enough to look into ourselves, and read what it signifies to our soul.
Dreamt I was near a beach sitting on a hill with my spouse and child. Whilst hugging my hubby, I was looking towards the horizon and saw a huge ocean tidal wave foam, that stood tall and steady and bright as crystal. I was in awe, amazed and happy to see an extraordinary thing and wondered why it didn’t move . Then looking across parallel, there was a was another similar tidal wave foam but medium to height, this sprinkled 3 water-way like a fountain. I stretched my hand out from the hill to touch the 3 sprinkled water. The scene was beautiful with bright clear beach and sea. Below the hill I was sits sitting a was a road. A man was walking from there, the inner being in me, told me, its because of my spouses relatives that spoils him.
Fell into the lake
I had a dream that some one led me to a a lake and I fell in, I woke up and was yelling no. Cause I can’t swim I guess. What does this mean.
My daughter dreamt of being if sailing on a yacht in Dubai and being flipped over into the ocean because of the waves. She didn’t feel too scared because she was soon rescued by a speed boat.
What does that mean?
I dreamt me and 10 other people were set in some sort of saw (like the movie) game were we had to escape death traps the first was a giant bridge in which two people died then it went to jumping over stingrays to prevent electrocution only 3 of us made it out then we had took up weapons of war and fought against giant sealife creatures but before the battle began I woke up strangely enough when I did Instagram showed me my grandma as a contact on Insta and said I may know her I think god wants me to reach out to her idk
Ashley Ndlovu says
I dreamt i was in a village I have never been to in my life and then all of a sudden, there was a lot of sand that fell ontop of me crushing me but I could still breath and I felt no pain. After a while i was pulled in whirlpool that led me and the others to an ocean. The ocean was full of small whirlpools trying to pull is in, a huge whirlpool that had four “people” around it came directly after me even after we tried everything that we could I was pulled in. To my surprise it took me back to the same village and I was wet at all. Without even knowing it I was their chief of some sort then I woke up
Dawn Baldwin says
I believe in dreams and this dose help me to understand what my dreams are saying to me and the meaning helps me out a lot and do what I need to do for my self. Thank you
I dreamt about sea water rising form a side and the other side is overflowing.
I dreamt walking into a room where there the floor was covered in water, when I looked up I saw that the corner of the ceiling was broken and that is where the water came trough. I don’t think it was my house because I do not recognize the bedding it was black silk but i was wet from the water.
I had a dream that my son and I was in some sort of huge hotel right in the middle of the ocean.. it was almost and peaceful in the beginning.. Out of nowhere, sirens began to ring, high winds began and everyone was frantic.. We all returned to the inside of this enormous hotel and shut all doors.. as we sit there and watch the waves rising I come up with a plan to o to the highest point of the building.. which was 30 stories. I grab my sons hand and tell him “everything will be okay”.. So we get finally get to the top floor and on that floor was a group of survivors… somehow my son and I got separated in this frenzy.. And at this point I look out the window and half of the building was under the ocean as levels continue to rise. This I glance and see a woman with tattoos grabbing and pulling on my son going towards the opposite direction…At this point I’m fill with all kids of emotions, most of all helpless.. wile searching for him I happened to feel something run into me. I look down and it was my son. He had on a white t-shirt so I could clearly see that he had some kind of mud or plaster all over the front of his shirt. He whipes the shirt clean with his hands and says look. He has two plywood screws drilled through his back and the tops of them were sticking out of his chest.. but with no blood, just the mud.. I asked a doctor that was near by what to do.. and he pulls a drill from nowhere and says “well, we can just push them all the way through” . So of course I didnt agree to that. I kneel down and hug my son and ask him who did this to him and what happened.. bythe didnt respond.. then ask him “Are you ad at me”? And then he responds in a soft, raspy voice, “yes I am , because yo didnt save me”.. I woke up with a broken heart and worried. Could you help me out and try to give me some advise as to what this dream meant..? Thank you in advance
Tegan Marks says
I had a dream last night that I had I vision of a woman in a clear water lake, majestically moving blossoms across the water without using her hand. Then I was sitting on the train with a man and the same woman to the same destination where I seen in my vision. I was sitting above the lake on what looked like a willow tree, gracefully peaceful in the night blue sky. I felt anxious and hesitated as I was told you to enter the water, I slowly made my way in water cover up to my stomach. I felt my gliding my hands above the water watching the bloosoms float around me. Then I woke up
Nupur choudhary says
I am dreaming of a womAn abusing me and I abused back at my family shop and then I got to know that this woman has some problem .the Muslim lady performed some ritual with knife without getting touched her clothes .and then that energy decreased. And then too that lady came back after me. And I ran down. And then I had the knives in my hand.what is the meaning of it?
Tshwarelo Matentje says
Seeing my self in a boat but I fall under the clean water…