Water is the basis of life. Our bodies consist of mostly water, we need water to survive, the animals and plants around us need water to survive, which is why water is such a strong and commonly recurring symbol in our dreams.
Water is used to bless, renew, and purify. However, water can also be used to torture and kill. Water can be peaceful and life-giving, or it can be powerful, over-whelming, and dangerous.
- Lying in a calm pool of water can be restful to our body and soul.
- Riding on a wave of water can be exhilarating and exciting.
- Falling into a deep ocean of water can be dark, directionless, and full of unknown terrors.
When we cannot properly express our emotions during the day, they may take form in our dreams at night. Therefore, finding the meaning of our dreams, will help us understand ourselves better, as well as improve our emotional and physical well-being.
To find the deeper meaning of our dream about water, we need to look at the details of our dream, within the context of what is currently happening in our life.
Our Dream of Water – What, Where, How
Dreams about water can have many different interpretations depending on –
- How we interact with the water.
- How we feel during and after the dream.
- What type of water appears in our dream. A clear ocean, a fast moving river, a swampland, a swimming pool, or a lake, will all have different associated meanings.
- What objects and people are in the water dream.
1. How we interact with the water
There are many ways with which we can interact with water. Different actions, have different purposes and effect, and therefore a different meaning.
Positive interactions –
- Swimming in water indicates that we have a new goal or destination that we are moving toward. We could be finding a new direction in life, starting school, moving, or changing jobs. Swimming with the current, shows that our journey is going well, and we are happy and confident with our circumstances. Swimming against the current, signals that we are having difficulties and have to work hard to move forward. Being carried away by the current, suggests that the journey is too challenging, and we are no longer sure that we can reach our goals. In this case, we may want to re-evaluate our future and current actions.
- Diving into water can signify a need to delve into our own emotions, needs, actions, and inner psyche. Alternatively, we may be trying to understand the goals and intentions of someone close to us, or how to solve a current work issue.
- Crossing a body of water captures a yearning for freedom, independence, and change. We are moving from what was known and safe, to what is new and not constrained by old rules and old doubts.
- Playing or frolicking in water signals the awakening of a new love or a new passion. We could be looking forward to a new relationship, a new work project, or learning a new skill.
- Walking on water suggests that we are in control and are confident that we can face whatever challenges are currently in our life.
- Listening to water shows a need for reflection, and to be at peace with our emotions.
- Pouring water on someone else may mean that we are helping a friend recover, helping her embark on a new journey, or offering her new opportunities and blessings.
- Drinking water from a water fountain, cooler, spring, or other nourishing source, suggests that we are seeking to be refreshed and renewed. On the other hand, drinking dirty water implies a fear of getting sick, continuing sickness, or some other contamination of the body and mind.
Negative interactions –
- Drowning, rising water, or being swallowed up by a stormy sea indicates anxiety, dread, or a feeling of being overwhelmed by external forces. We could be experiencing a lot of stress from work, from our friends and relatives, or from our current environment and circumstance. We may have lost our job, lost someone we love, and may feel that we no longer have control of our emotions or our life.
- Breathing under water suggests a wish to return to the womb, in particular, a need for safety, security, and freedom from responsibilities. We may be facing difficult issues in life and be overburdened by commitments, therefore we are looking to return to a simpler and safer place.
- Bailing out water is a signal of future troubles or difficulties, which we have currently forestalled with hard work and effort. However, there is uncertainty as to whether we can hold-off the coming tide.
- Looking or thirsting for water may mean that recent setbacks or current life experiences (e.g. work, health, relationships), have left us feeling empty and depleted. Therefore, we are looking to be refueled or reborn. We need to take time to nurture ourselves.
- Falling into water captures a feeling of momentary helplessness, of not being in control, regrets on mistakes made, and possible unpleasant consequences.
- Splashed by water symbolizes a wake up call. We need to focus, get our thoughts straight, and stop living in self-denial or self-delusion. Otherwise, we may end up in a dead-end job, a bad relationship, or a life full of regrets.
- Throwing water at others suggests the onset of an emotional outburst, or the need to show more emotion. Getting water thrown at us, indicates that we may be the target of someone else’s anger or strong emotion.
2. How do we feel during and after the water dream
- Feeling bold and laughing at the stormy sea indicates that we are ready to meet adversity, we are ready to transition into something new, we are confident we can sail through the difficult circumstances, and come out victorious on the other side.
- Feeling anxious and fearful of the water is a signal that we are afraid of the unknown. We may be unsure of the direction to take on a vast trackless body of water, or we may feel that we have no control of where our life is taking us.
- Feeling calm and peaceful about the water captures our feelings of safety, security, and contentment while in our mother’s womb. We feel safe in our current situation, our work life is progressing smoothly, and the people and environment surrounding us gives us peace.
3. What type of water appears in our dream
The type of water in our dream is also significant. In particular –
a) Size and depth of the water
- Large or deep bodies of water (ocean, lake, or well) indicate the unknown, hidden secrets, uncertainty, and greater danger.
- Small and shallow bodies of water (a pond, swimming pool or puddle) are safe, familiar, and known. Even if they are associated with negative emotions and actions, they are more of a nuisance or minor setback, rather than a life changing phenomenon.
- A path of water (stream, creek, or river) signals movement to a particular destination, or having to choose which direction to take.
b) Condition of the water
- Clear water indicates confidence, clarity in thinking, or that we are in tune with our spirituality.
- Still or calm water shows that we are at peace, or that we are seeking peace and relaxation.
- Murky or stagnant water, for example in a swamp or bog, is a sign of apathy and depression. We may feel lost, that our life is going nowhere, that we will never find love, or that our achievements are meaningless. We may be struggling with negative emotions, and find it difficult to take positive action, or indeed any action at all. Fog, is perhaps a weaker symbol, which indicates that we are having trouble reaching clarity, or taking action.
- Ice represents repressed emotions, or some disturbing past experience that still haunts us. Melting ice signals that we are ready to face our past or childhood trauma, and start unraveling our repressed emotions.
- Falling water, for example standing in the rain, under a shower, or in a waterfall denotes a cleansing or need for self-renewal. We may need to heal emotional scars or let go of pent-up emotions, that is causing us sadness and pain.
- Fast moving water, for example in a river, may signify that our life or emotional landscape is changing too quickly. Similarly, boiling water indicates emotional turmoil and great stress.
- Tsunamis, tidal waves, storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other acts of God captures a strong sense of being overwhelmed by events that are beyond our control. They may also suggest a hidden guilt or sin, that is greatly weighing on our psyche. We may feel that we need to be, or are going to be punished.
4. What is in the water
Finally, the objects or people related to our water dream can also be significant.
- Boats, jet skis, water skis, water floats, and other objects that give us the ability to stay on top of the water, suggests self-confidence. In general, objects that provide us with more control and more speed, signify greater belief in ourselves and our actions. For example, speed boats and jet skis > sail boats > row boats > paddle boats > water floats.
- Hose, faucets, or other objects that allow us to control the direction and flow of water, also suggests that we are in control, and have the emotional fortitude to take charge of our life and actions.
- Other people swimming in the water with us, helping us get to the surface, or helping us get to shore, indicates that we have support from friends and family in our current troubles. On the other hand, being held back or pushed down into the water, suggests that we have enemies or competitors, who are trying to sabotage or impede our progress.
- Fish and other sea creatures can have a variety of meanings. Mermaids and fantastical sea animals, show a need for change or an urge to escape into a different life. Being attacked by sharks, alligators, or sea monsters, implies that we are feeling harried in many aspects of our life, or that we are worried about embarking on something new and unknown. Observing fish and other sea life from a distance, represents a feeling or indifference, and an unwillingness to explore or to engage in the happenings of our life.
- Barriers in the water or hitting some impediment, signals some complication that is preventing us from reaching our goal. We may be unwilling to take some risk, unable to commit to some action, or make a required sacrifice.
- Familiar objects under water implies that we have repressed or hidden feelings related to those objects. We may feel reluctant to examine or confront those memories.
- Water lily is a symbol of grief and separation. It indicates feelings of sorrow and bereavement.
What Is the Meaning of My Water Dream
Dreams are made of symbols. The interpretation of dreams involve identifying which symbols are important in our dream, and then translating what they each mean to us.
Some symbols have broader cultural significance, while others may have narrower meanings, or may pertain to specific experiences that are special or unique to us. Therefore, dream interpretation is partly a study of symbology, and partly a study of self.
In this article, we examine many of the broader meanings of water, in its various forms and contexts. However, always be aware that our personal experiences and histories also play a very big role.
To fully understand the meaning of our water dreams, we must not only understand the cultural significance of water, but also be brave enough to look into ourselves, and read what it signifies to our soul.
I dreamt that i had a big house with family, then i walked off while they were talking, and i saw sharks feeding on something. There was blood on the water but i wasn’t scared. I was in awe. Then i turned back and was feeding whales but i was scared they’d get me so i ran home. Then huge waves started to cover the house then receed back into the ocean. I went out with some strangers and helped animals that i saw all wet and scared. I took them back home and went out again alone. As i was hanging from a wired fence i felt the next wave coming, but instead of running home, i held my breath and held on to the fence. I remember knowing that i could breathe under the water for some inexplicable reason. The wave hit and then i saw what i thought was a dead shark in a pool by my feet. Someone tried to approach it and it woke up and tried to bite. Then i looked back and the whole house was under clear water and i felt sad. I tried to look for a boat, but all the ones i found were broken. And then the dream changed.
I had a dream I was in a public restroom at a kids’ football stadium. I was holding a baby in my hands, a baby girl. I was trying to give her a bath, but the water faucet was spraying everywhere and I was afraid of spraying water in her ears. When I was done bathing her I didn’t have anything to dry her off with and she was slippery. I didn’t have a pamper to put on her or a diaper bag. I felt helpless and didn’t know what to do because I knew she would pee soon. It was also hot outside and I was worried about the baby getting sunburned.
Empty roman city water flowing in to a lake ghe water is calm i am above the lake nothing happens i did not hear anything not Even the water
My dream was my daughter was like 8 in my dream and I was taking her to school and we had a lake in front of our house and she jumped in to get to the car across the lake. She floated up and I thought she drowned and I was about to jump in after her but she stood up. I started fussing at her to get out the lake and go in the house to change clothes but she was scared to go in the house because she said the wind was blowing to strong at the door. I don’t know who it was but they grabbed her hand along with me and we took her in the house so that she may change her clothes….then I woke up…someone please help me understand this dream.
I keep dreaming about being at an indoor pool. The shallow end is 3ft deep, but the deep end can range from 18 to 1800ft in depth. I’ve been to public pools that have deep ends of 12-14ft solely to permit diving. That doesn’t scare me while awake, yet in dreams the depth of the water is notated by spray-painted markers. Any ideas on what the dream could be symbolizing??
O oke says
I had a dream where I firstly flew around the village that I lived near as a young child (about 8-9), and this elderly man tried to tell me off. I went into a guitar shop and learned how to play the guitar. Then, it became night-time and the sky was completely clear, the moon was massive and every single star and galaxy was visible. At this point, I came across a cliff overlooking an huge, murky, but still, ocean. I got out my guitar (I don’t play guitar in real life) and started playing a tune on it. As I did this, I started walking backwards and eventually fell off the cliff while playing the guitar, and singing, and screaming, and laughing, at the same time. I fell into the water and woke up just before I drowned.
I had a dream I could see crystal clear waters with a city under the sea I could see Roman statues and goddesses.. And children were swimming and diving into the water .. Was so beautiful is there a meaning to my dream
Christina Mary says
I had a dream I could see crystal clear waters with a city under the sea I could see Roman statues and goddesses.. And children were swimming and diving into the water .. Was so beautiful is there a meaning to my dream Myself and my Daughter n her girl Friend with us . My Daughter n Friend they both jump in the ocean water and siwmming . Myself I walking in the water and I saw many kinds of sea creatures. I give way for them. What meaning of this dream.
I had a dream my girl friend was wearing her work uniform also was intoxicated chasing a duck into a deep clear water well… And went inside after the duck. All of a sudden there was no duck and she was standing against the wall under the clear deep water with her uniform still on. I thought she was about to drown and i was getting to jump in to rescue her. But that time she was already out. What does that dream mean? Please help
I had a dream about a clear stream that was following me. It didn’t attack me but followed me around a green field and was trying to manoeuvre me into a direction. This dream followed a dream about me talking to a lot of angels. What does this mean.
Okay, I was in this room with two female convicts (I make three). I was getting sleepy, so I layed down. Woke up to cars pulling up and I put my hands behind my back. And I said I surrender. A naked guy came up to me and punch me in the face. I told him that he need to put on some clothes on and I see that he loved her. CUT Away from that dream to swimming in a lake. I couldn’t see the bottom. So I swim into a guy that was trying to throw me. I was saying don’t throw me. Started to swim out. But as we getting out of the lake it turn into fresh ocean water. But the guy starts to fight his brother. I tried to break it up but I couldn’t. So I went to dry off. Came back into the room and was told that I couldn’t graduate with the other inmates. I said I work to hard trying to finish. The end…… I tryed my best. I am not the best story teller.
I have dream about kiss in underwater what it can be means ?
I have a dream selling in the clear water the sae but I not go and deep I go down and search a road where to go
I had a dream I was walking on a dock the water was so green and merky I leaned over to touch the water and I somehow fell in I could see under the wawater I could see the dock above my head the green water and the plants and I was so scared and anxious trying to get out of the water and right when I tried to grab the dock I woke up drenched in sweat. super panicked. I never have dreams I remember but the last few months ive been getting these vivid dreams eather weird or scary and I’m always soaked in sweat not sure what’s going on with me.
I had a dream that i was in a great mood walking on a bridge over water and all of a sudden the bridge broke and i was swimming and having the time of my life in the water. And then i made it to the other side and was standing on the top of a house. Keep in mind i dont like water and dont know how to swim.
I dreamt that my boyfriend and I were on a roadtrip. We stopped by what looked like the sea/ocean and started walking on the cement dock that was next to a building. This dock seemed to extend into the sea/ocean. It felt really relaxing and calm. I felt carefree and happy to just be there with him walking by my side, hand-in-hand. Suddenly we were joined by another man who seemed to be my bf’s friend and now I was walking behind the two of them. Although I was surprised that they were now ahead of me and I felt a bit “left behind”, I shrugged this feeling off and continued to walk carefree and eventually felt relaxed again. Then suddenly I was facing my bf on this dock with the water to our knees. I remember thinking it was weird to be in the water this way but I also felt really warm and relaxed. His friend was watching us from the side. I had the building behind me and I stared out at the very blue and glistening ocean behind my bf and thought it looked really beautiful. Then he asked me to marry him. I was shocked and contemplated what to say. My tongue seemed caught in my throat and I couldn’t seem to say anything. I felt like I couldn’t say no because it would hurt my bf yet I didn’t want to say yes because I felt like it was “fake” that I was only saying it because I thought it would make him happy. Eventually I said yes, and he happily gave me the ring. I glanced at the ring he gave me and it was a small yet beautiful and delicate diamond ring. I was calm and my surroundings were beautiful but I just kept feeling “wrong” about the whole engagement. Does anyone know what this means?
I had a dream of a needle over me,dropping clear water on top of me and I actually felt the wetness.
what does my dream mean..i was swimming crossing a large body of water, it was green and i was carrying a bundle of woods. i was then able to cross it while carrying the woods
I have seen water dreams many times. I don’t know swimming, I always found myself swimming perfectly with some strange moves (actually not existing moves). I am hydrofobiac. I feel good that I can swim and its not even tough. It’s never been sea or river. It may be a very big pond or swimming pool.
I frequently see such dreams, story around is different but the moment I found myself swimming I always feel happy for knowing swimming.
What does it mean if I had a dream about walking around a pool but there’s only a little space to walk around. There was this other boy that I know he always gets in trouble and he’s really bad and he was wearing a speedo walking around behind me. And this boy was mean to me and at first I thought we were playing tag but then he started looking mad and he started chasing me so I started running around the pool and I fell in and I drowned but and I stopped breathing when I woke up I wasn’t breathing please tell me what this means
I had a dream where I was standing by a river or lake, I remember in the dream I threw something valuable in the lake or river not quite sure the difference but when I went to retrieve it, I found myself stuck in the middle with my body lying astride on a cemented wall in the middle of the river or lake. I remember in the dream I was a bit anxious and confused, first as to how I got there and a way to get out, in the dream I could hear familiar voices from a distance and as I was trying to get close to them to shout for help I woke up……what could it mean?