Angels are messengers from God. They protect us, guide us, or carry out other heavenly tasks.
Therefore, angel dreams symbolize a greater force that is watching over us, directing us, sheltering us, or trying to show us something important, which is hidden. The important part about angel dreams, is in translating the message within, based on what is currently happening in our spiritual and physical life.
The message can be a shared joy of something divine that has happened, a blessing of good things to come, or a warning of something we should prepare for.
Interpreting Our Dream About Angels
To interpret our dream, we want to pay special attention to the angels.
- What were the angels wearing? What is the color and texture of their wings?
- What were the angels carrying?
- Is there only a single angel or multiple angels?
- Are our dream angels male or female?
- What were the actions or expressions of the angels?
What were the angels wearing
The color and material of the angel’s clothes and wings, are part of the message that they convey.
- White clothes and wings indicate purity, peace, blessings, and rejuvenation. We may be at peace with ourselves and our life. Alternatively, the white angels may be telling us that to achieve inner peace, we need to seek greater spiritual support, need to be cleansed, and need to focus on the purity of our actions.
- Colorful clothes and wings suggest playfulness and joy. We may be looking forward to something happy and hopeful in our future, which could be a new relationship, new job, promotion, inheritance, or some other good fortune.
- Black clothes and wings signal a warning of some kind. Our physical or spiritual well-being could be in danger, we could be burdened by sin or guilt, and we may need to take some action to heal ourselves.
What were the angels holding
The items held by the angels or carried on their person, will also have great significance. We want to examine each object carefully, explore what each of them symbolizes, as well as what they each mean to us.
- Objects of knowledge such as a book or scroll, indicates greater clarity for the future, and confidence in our actions.
- Objects of war such as a sword or staff, signals that we may be experiencing some inner turmoil in our life or some disturbance in our soul. We may need to do battle to regain our spiritual equilibrium.
- Objects of love and peace such as an olive brand or a dove implies hope, care, devotion, and self-sacrifice. We may have a difficult journey ahead of us, but we have faith in a brighter future.
- Food and drink suggests that we are in need of spiritual nourishment. We may be feeling depleted and tired as a result of our daily struggles. The angel may be telling us that we need to take some time for ourselves, and refocus on our inner self and spiritual well-being.
Number of angels
- A single angel indicates a purity of purpose and action. We need to cast off distractions, and focus on the thing that is most important to us.
- Three angels signals harmony, completeness, and the divine. Indeed, the triad or trinity is a powerful symbol with deep roots in culture and history. In Greek mythology there are three Fates, the triad also plays a central role in Celtic religion, and of course, there is the Holy Trinity. Therefore, a message carried by three angels is very potent, and may involve all of our body, mind and spirit.
- Multiple angels suggest good fortune, divine support, or spiritual fortitude. Angels guard and guide us. Therefore, having multiple angels watching over us, is a sign of great protection, and also an indication of a promising future.
If we are one of the angels in our dream, then likely, we have done something good and pure, we are planning to embark on a journey of spirituality, or planning to do God’s work.
Male or female angels
- Femininity is associated with the Venus symbol, which captures love, beauty, prosperity, and fertility.
- Masculinity is associated with the Mars symbol, which captures war, savagery, guardianship, and virility.
The masculinity or femininity of the angels in our dreams, also constitutes part of the message that they carry.
Actions, expressions, and environment
Finally, actions and expressions are also important. What did the faces of the angels convey, and how did we feel in their presence?
- A calm expression indicates that we are looking for some peace and quiet. Our life may be hectic at the moment, and we may need some protection from our daily noise and activity. We may be seeking sanctuary, some time for reflection, or spiritual comfort.
- A happy expression signals that we are feeling confident about our present and future. It may also signify a recent positive achievement, or the expectation of some imminent good news.
- A sad expression suggests future challenges and possibly heartache. However, we have a guardian angel watching over us, so we will ultimately prevail.
- An angry expression implies some mistake, wrong-doing, or sin. We need to admit our mistake, make amends, and try to do better in the future.
Similarly, the actions of our dream angels also carry meaning. An angel that is brandishing a sword in warning, will have a different message than one who is handing us his sword, or one who is standing still, with his sword pointed to the ground.
If we are being handed something, then we may need to perform an important task, or go on a quest for our spiritual well being. The nature of the task or quest will rely on the object handed to us. On the other hand, an angel standing with his sword pointed down, may be guarding us from something. Perhaps we need to be vigilant, check our spiritual defenses, and watch out for sinful temptations that may lead us astray.
Actions may also indicate immediacy of the message, in particular, whether we need to attend to it very soon, sometime in the near future, or NOW!
The environment surrounding our angel is also important. An angel standing in the middle of a storm, signifies spiritual turbulence, whereas one who is standing in a calm pool of water, signifies peace and relaxation.
Are Dream Angels Real?
When we dream of angels, there is always the question of whether the angels are real and sent by God, or whether they are a manifestation of our subconscious mind.
Studies show that a large percentage of Americans believe in angels.
- A poll in 2008 by the Baylor University Institute for Studies of Religion, shows that 55% of 1700 respondents, believe that they were protected from harm by a guardian angel.
- A 2007 Pew poll revealed that a whopping 68% of respondents believe that angels or demons are active in our world. Up to 20% describe encounters with either a heavenly or demonic being.
However, some argue that angel dreams and visitations are the result of our subconscious mind only. They further propose that visitations that occur during the day could be the result of lucid dreaming. It could also be the result of a hallucination or trance.
Are angels real?
As with all things spiritual, that is difficult to prove or fully disprove. The belief in angels, I think, is a very personal thing.
However, if through belief we gain hope, solace, and spiritual strength, then isn’t that the very purpose of an angelic guide and protector? And if so, then perhaps angels exist within us, if we but dare to see.
On 20th March 2023 I saw an angle in my dream giving me bible and then he opened a verse and started teaching me
I drempt of seeing 3 white clad angels about 3-4 off the ground hovering above an empty thick bed that folded at the top. It was in an upright position. There was this most beautiful gold glow beneath the angels wings and surrounding the bed. The angels wings tips touch to make a circle covering, protecting whomever the bed was for, or whom had been there.. Their faces not much expression but a thin line of a smile. I had been praying for a friend who was battling a form of cancer. . About 2 weeks later I found out I have cancer. Surgery is soon.
A pure white angel came to me in a dream so excited it felt so real
Scott Walters says
What’s it mean when a male angel is laying on ground on his back had tan pants on come to me in while I was asleep..
John Shaw says
My dream was of stone statues of baby angels praying.
Charles E Erickson says
found this article very helpful I believe I have angles looking after and protecting me for a very long time I just had a dream of 3 angles with blue wings last night baby blue and blue is my favroite color
I dreamt of three angels flying and one of them came to me and wrapped it’s wings around me. I felt a love I’ve never felt before… What does that mean?
I dreamt of a 6-winged angel. I couldn’t make a lot out because it seemed to be encased in smoke. It was kind of hovering with one pair of wings, the other was covering its facial area, and the second went down. I couldn’t see where the 3rd pair went because the smoke was too thick there. I was looking around, and there was smoke everywhere. I kept hearing the sound of someone crying, and I realized I was standing in a pond of sorts, but the water was black and reflective, showing the smoke, but not the angel. I’m not religious but I feel like the dream had significance to it, does anyone know what this could mean?
Sorry I meant the 3rd pair of wings went down
The angel in my dream was only a shadow then it picked me up and dragged me and it also sounded like a sheep
In my dream I met the three beautiful ladies having big wings and wearing beautiful coulorfull garments ( bright green). We started to be exited with each other, they were smiling at me..looking at each other. They suddenly told me that they are going to fly to America. I was thrilled and shocked that they are going to fly with their wings to America, wondering how hard could it be. What could be the meaning?
Cesar madrid says
In my dream I was painting an angel, made out of clay, and suddenly became to life, I was taking care of her till I woke up….
Ok so I just woke up with a scary scary dream. What appeared to be an angel was warning me of a great war that was coming. Not between man but between 3 angels that where about to be freed. This angel was was dressed for battle and told me I was needed to help battle these demons that where bond beneath a river. This so called angel kept lifting me up and telling me to get prepared. That the apocalypse was near. I know what your thinking this dude is crazy and man do I feel that way. I’m not religious in anyway and don’t even understand why I had the dreams. Any idea what this means or can I chalk it up as just another crazy dream.
In the bible it states that there are 2 fallen angels chained underneath a river and they are trying to break free to cause Destruction to Earth look it up in the Bible
Michael Cendejas says
I believe God sends us down an Angel to walk as us to protect us not so much as a fallen Angel but a protector to live for our pain and suffering to feel how we feel in an
Hurt abandon moment going through what God did I can’t imagine but I think an Angel
Could come close
I had a demonic dream for several years. This one was in a cathedral eith large dome ceiling. Black shadows everywhere swishing around me and laughing. I started praying yelling archangel Carmichael, archang rahpeal, ascended masters help me!!!.. demons started to cut mt voice box so I couldn’t speak. I started closing mt eyes and telepathically started praying and yelling foe angels to come with my strong attitude and will but I was very nervous and scared. 4 angel wings started appearing on top of ceiling far away….it was so bright there light, the cathedral started lighting up from dark to light. There wings started appearing, helmet on head, sword in hand. I could not see their bottom feet or legs. It was a light white shadow. I started praying even louder in my head…the light gor bigger and brighter…I then waa able to speak out loud, the angels gave me my voice back. The light got so bright, the dark forces of shadows gor scared snd started goinf away from me. I then woke up!
I had a dream about St. Michael the archangel. He wants me to share that angels die. They don’t live forever.
Treba Samuel says
Is very true that angels exist, i haven’t seen it before but i believe in my heart.
And my wish is to see an angel with eyes or feel them around me, and i know that one day i will meet an angel. Thank you